Friday, 27 May 2016

Earth Warriors

Animal Unit Reflection

This week we reflected on the 'Extinction is Forever' Unit of Study and the children's responses were thoughtful and well informed.  Here are some of their responses.
  • It is important to think about the world we are living in and how new information tells us that we need to help the animals quickly.
  •  It is important that animals do not become extinct because we need them. 
  •  I was getting more ideas on how to take care of the animals.
  •  Singapore Zoo makes the animals enclosures like their real habitats
  •  Now that I have learnt about animals I am scared that they might become extinct.
  • I am pretty worried because soon tigers will be extinct and they are very important to the jungle. I am trying to think how we can help the tigers. I wish I could change tigers being extinct.
  • I felt sad that the animals are being killed for clothes and decorations.
  • I felt happy when I heard that the rhinos are not killed anymore because the rangers in Africa are carefully cutting off their horns before the poachers kill the rhinos.
  • I felt worried because in 20 years all tigers might be extinct unless we can stop poachers killing the tigers.
  • People are the problem. They just want money and don't care that they kill animals.

Action

The children identified many ways that they can help the animals and protect the earth.
Here are some things we will do. 
  • Not contributing to Global Warming - turn off the classroom lights (and lights at home) when we are not in the room. Using recycle bins correctly. Not polluting the earth. Don't buy plastic bottles of water, refill a designated container. Bring snack and lunch in Tupperware-like containers rather than plastic bags that are thrown away. Ask for products free from palm oil.
  • Respect the animals - don't attend animal entertainment shows - don't buy products made from coral and ivory.
The children have started to show that they are determined to do their part to protect our planet.

Picking up rubbish in the playground


Grade 5

Yesterday we attended the Grade 5 Expo, an annual exhibition showcasing many weeks of research and action by all the Grade 5 students. The focus was sustainability and everyone came away with a greater awareness of some of the problems the world is facing and some practical ideas everyone can do to help.
1VFo were excited to connect with their Grade 5 buddies to hear about some interesting facts and some disturbing facts about a range of topics that are connected to sustainability. They discovered that they already know of information because the Grade 5 focus connects with many issues we discussed in the animal Unit of Study.







1VFo shares with K2

On Wednesday we invited the K2 classes into our classroom to view the animal habitat dioramas that everyone made as part of 1VFo animal research projects. The children have also recorded and presented their research in digital form and these will be included in their Learning Journals. Please check your child's Digital Learning Journal for some new learning.





Swimming Morning of Sport

We look forward to seeing you poolside on Wednesday to watch the children participate in the activities. 
Please come to our classroom on Wednesday after the swimming Morning of Sport and collect your child's diorama. This will ensure that it arrives home safely.

Please click on the G1 link to the right of this blog.

 


No comments:

Post a Comment