Light Activities
We began this unit thinking about what we already think we know about light and sound. All the children bring some prior knowledge about these two sources of energy and some have a few misconceptions. This week the children heard about how scientists follow the scientific process to discover (or not) new information. The children asked many questions when they went outside to view their shadows and then collaborated to form hypotheses to answer their questions. A return visit to the playground later in the day helped them understand more about shadows. This inquiry will continue.
The next question was 'How does the light in our classroom work?'
Once again the children made observations, formed hypotheses and then conducted an experiment where they had to make a circuit. They were very excited when they successfully lit up their light bulb. Next they had to explain how they made the circuit and apply this process to the lights in our room.
![]() |
| "Why is my shadow so long?" |
![]() |
| "Why doesn't my shadow turn around when I do?' |
![]() |
| "Why did my shadow get smaller?" |
![]() |
| "I think that you connect the wires here." |
![]() |
| "Where do you think this wire goes?" |
![]() |
| " I can explain how the light works." |
![]() |
| "I made a circuit. It is like a circle." |







No comments:
Post a Comment